Sunday, August 23, 2026

I Was Careless Once.

 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”” (Luke 6:37-38, ESV)

I am a nearly 40 year old retail stocker, going on six months working for the company in this current run.  I have seen the work of those around half my age not only be inconsiderate in their work, but have a less than ideal work ethic.  For a moment, I was incensed.   Then I remember, I was once young, inconsiderate, and, to put it bluntly, lazy.  So, I quickly let it go.

Is it because of the "no one wants to work anymore" or "no one wants to work for less than a 'living' wage" attitude that the young are what they are?  That's a discussion for another time.  What matters in the moment was my reaction to it.

Yes, there must be accountability, but also:

“For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.” (James 2:13, ESV)

Even today, I have committed errors in safety and in recklessness that cost the company not a small sum.  While being held accountable, I was still shown mercy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Was Careless Once.

  “ “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it wil...